Early Childhood Department
2015-2016 Early Childhood Admissions
To apply for Early Childhood group classes for children three months to six years of age, please complete the online application and arrange for payment of the $60.00 application fee.
Applications are considered on a first come, first served basis. Preference is given to returning students and siblings who apply early. The first round of Early Childhood enrollment contracts are mailed in mid-March, followed by continuing admissions for both new and returning students. See the Admissions Tab for additional information about the admissions process including answers to some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
For more information on Early Childhood classes, or to check on availability before applying, please contact Dorothy Appleton, Head of Early Childhood Admissions, at 212-369-1484, ext. 43 or email email@example.com
Beginning the journey of music-making…
The Early Childhood Program—instituted in the early 1960s—offers an extensive selection of courses for introducing small groups of young children and their families to the joys of music and art. By engaging in developmentally appropriate group music experiences (listening, singing, moving, playing percussion instruments, and eventually reading and notating music), students are given the foundation for a comprehensive music education and the tools to express themselves artistically.
Diller-Quaile’s curriculum—incorporating the pedagogies of Émile Jaques-Dalcroze, Zoltán Kodály, Carl Orff, Shinichi Suzuki, Maria Montessori, and Edwin Gordon—is taught through a repertoire of international folk songs as well as classical, modern, popular, and original music. Classes feature pianists who improvise accompaniments in a variety of styles in response to the children’s singing and movement. In our combined music and art offerings, children begin to develop skills and an appreciation of art concepts through hands-on experiences with a wide range of media, materials, and tools.
Diller-Quaile’s highly trained and dedicated faculty is complemented by our Early Childhood Development Consultant, who works closely with teachers and is available for periodic class observations and parent consultations. The Early Childhood Department also presents discussions on child development that are open to parents, grandparents, and caregivers of children enrolled in classes; other School-wide events for families are scheduled throughout the year. Year-end student reports provide an overview of each child’s classroom experiences.
2015-2016 Early Childhood Program
The Early Childhood Program offers group classes for children from three months to six years of age.
Individual instrument instruction for children four years of age and up, and musicianship classes for children in first grade and up, are offered through the Instrumental and Vocal Department.
A child’s age as of September 1, 2015 is used for placement purposes.
Early Childhood classes are conducted in the following formats:
ADULT/CHILD: Children attend with a parent, grandparent, or other adult.
SEPARATION: Children attend unaccompanied.
All classes meet for a 30 week academic year except Music Infants (3-8 months) and Sing Your Infant A Lullaby (3-8 months), which meet for 15 weeks.
2015-2016 Early Childhood Classes
(ages are as of September 1, 2015)
- Music Infants (3-8 months)
- Sing Your Infant a Lullaby (3-8 months)
- Music Babies (9-12 months; 13-16 months)
- Music Babies with Guitar (9-12 months)
- Music Toddlers (17-20 months)
- Toddlers and Twos on the Move (19 months – 2 years)
- Music For Nearly Twos and Twos (21 months-2.6 years)
- Art for Nearly Twos and Twos (21 months-2.6 years)
- Music and Art for Nearly Twos and Twos (21 months-2.6 years)
- Music, Stories, and Pre-Literacy (2-2.6 years)
- Early Childhood Music and Art (2-2.6 years)
- Preschool Music and Art (2.7-3.3 years)
- Music in Make-Believe (2.7-3.5 years)
- Great Artists (3&4 years)
- Dalcroze Eurhythmics (2.7-3.5 years; 3&4 years; 4&5 years)
- Meet the Instrument (2.7-3.5 years; 3&4 years)
- Play the Instrument (4&5 years)
- Chorus (4&5 years)
- Percussion Ensemble (3&4 years; 5&6 years)
- Great Composers (5&6 years)
- Family Fridays (Infants-5 years)